Thursday, August 14, 2008

Soul Sanctuary



The Stone House held its first SOUL Sanctuary program in late July. and by all accounts it was a major success. SOUL Sanctuary is a five-day monthly refuge program for organizers and activists and it's offered at no charge. We welcome up to six people each month for:
~rest, fellowship & community
~regular opportunities for meditation and yoga
~time in the garden, art studio, and on the land
~home-cooked, locally grown food

Here’s some personal testimony from Anike Robinson, a public school teacher from Washington, DC:


I did not come here quietly. I talked all the way from DC to North Carolina. I talked first in the first circle and the teacher in me wanted to fill the silence if only with my voice. But I listened. I felt the presence of those around me and it felt like home but better, more socially aware. The novice artist in me has been dormant but there was a room waiting, the smell of paint baiting me and so I had to honor the time and space. Although I cannot take Stone House with me I have decided to leave something behind me: “Come closer, if only to see me,” said Stone House. I have seen It, heard It, felt It, and this nameless IT is like the Tao, a well that will never run dry.



No comments: